Wednesday 12 March 2014

Giant cupcake tutorial


I am not sure about calling this a tutorial as this my first attempt at a giant cupcake, but I thought I would share this anyway. I got a lot of inspiration and advice from the mycupcakeaddiction channel on youtube so please check them out here.

Firstly I made a chocolate cupcake mix for 24 cupcakes, I won't detail it here unless anyone wants to request it. Any cupcake recipe will work for this cake. I brought my giant silicone cupcake mould from hobbycraft. I think you can also buy similar moulds on ebay or many other sites. You can also buy giant cupcake tins where the bottom and top are connected together. I prefer the separate containers as I found the bottom mould required a good 10 minutes extra cooking time.







Preheat your oven to 175 °C. Spray your cupcake moulds with cooking spray or grease with butter. Take your mix and fill each mould about 2/3 of the way up. Pop in the oven for 40-50 minutes. I removed the top mould after 40 minutes and removed the bottom mould 10 minutes later. Check the cake is cooked all the way through by placing a skewer into the middle of the cake and making sure it comes out clean. I left them to cool for 30 minutes before carefully removing them from the moulds and placing them on a wire rack to finish cooling.

Next up I made a chocolate cupcake case for my cake, I got this idea from a mycupcakeaddiction video. I placed one melted 200g bar of bournville chocolate into my cleaned bottom mould and then used a spatula to coat the entire surface before placing the mould in the fridge. You can repeat the process again with more chocolate to make your chocolate case stronger and thicker but I found one layer was enough. I then carefully removed the case by slowly peeling the silicone mould downwards so you eventually turn it inside out. Once out you can sit it back in the mould while you assemble the cake and decorate, (it's easier to remove the second time).

Prepare some butter icing.

Butter icing ingredients

125g butter
400g icing sugar
3 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the butter up with an electric mixer until it became pale and smooth then add the milk and vanilla before gradually adding the icing sugar while continuing to mix.

Once the cakes are completely cooled I used a bread knife to level the tops of the two sections so they are flat and the top of the giant cake can sit flat on the bottom section. I also removed approximately 1/2 cm all around the sides of the bottom cake. This allows the cake to fit into your chocolate cupcake case. I then cut the bottom cupcake into two in order to place a filling in the middle. I used a spatula to fill the chocolate cupcake case with butter icing and placed my first piece of cake into the case. I then used the spatula to add a thin layer of buttercream followed by some raspberries. I think cherries or strawberries would also work well with this cake. I then added the next piece of cake followed by the top piece of the cupcake. Then added a thin, even layer of butter cream all over the top of the cake.

The only thing left now is to decorate. I thought I would go with a simple swirly decoration using butter icing. I used a wilton 1M decorating tip.




After adding the buttercream I carefully removed the mould and viola one giant cupcake.




I thought it looked nice as it was but I tried adding some blue sprinkles and a wafer daisy which is pictured below.




For a first attempt at a giant cupcake I don't think it's too bad, the icing is a little messy but overall I am pleased. I hope my description made some sense! Do you like baking? What are your favourites?

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...