Friday 2 May 2014

Fondant bunny

Hello,

I thought I would outline how I made a little fondant bunny. I have only made fondant toppers a couple of times previous to this so I am still learning as I go along. 

From my limited experience I would say you need to start with a simple shape which you can then add detail to. Think about how the topper will need to sit on the cake. Having too much weight at the top of the character will make it difficult to balance.

You don't need special equipment to make this. If you do a lot of cake decorating fondant tools are handy. I use a cheap set of fondant tools I found on amazon but I think you could also do this very easily with a small knife.

Firstly I created the basic shapes I wanted for my bunny. Ears, head, body and feet. I gently rolled the head and body until it was smooth with no splits 

Once I had the head shape I wanted I started to add details. Once I happy with how the nose and mouth looked I used a little water on a brush to stick the pieces on and pressed down gently with a flat fondant tool (palette knife would also work). Once dry the pieces should be stuck securely.

The best tool I found to use is the one below. It's handy for pressing pieces together, shaping and making lines in fondant. 



I used a black edible ink pen for the eyes. 

I added some arms

I found it best to make these in advance as they will harden overnight and become more secure and easy to handle.

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...