Sunday 4 May 2014

Chocolate Guinness cake


I made this chocolate guinness cake as it was my mum and dads anniversary this week. I adapted a recipe by Nigella Lawson which can be found here.

I decided to leave the cream cheese frosting and just sprinkle some icing sugar over the top. I put mine into 2 foil trays (13'' x 8'') instead of a cake tin as I didn't have the right sized round tin and I thought little squares would be nice. I reduced the cooking time to 25 minutes and the outside was starting to get quite well done, so I would check them after 20 minutes if I made these again. I think adding some chocolate chips would be nice in this cake, I might try that next time.

Ingredients (makes 30 squares)
250 ml guinness
250g unsalted butter
75g cocoa powder
400g caster sugar
140 ml sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar for topping.

Method
-Preheat the oven to 180 °C and cover the surface of 2 foil baking trays (13'' x 8'') with cooking spray or a little butter to avoid sticking.
- Place the Guinness in a saucepan with the butter and heat gently until the butter has completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
-Beat together the sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract before adding to the beer mixture. Mix in the flour and bicarbonate of soda before dividing equally between the two foil trays.
-Cook for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer placed into the middle of the tray bake comes out clean. Let it cool in the tray.
-Cut each cake into 15 pieces and sprinkle some icing sugar over them.







Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...